Pages



Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Glittered Mirror



We have slowly been working on giving Tensley's room a makeover and making it more of a big girls room. Also David and I agreed it was time to make the space more hers and match her personality, instead of keeping it the colors and arranged how it was when I grew up in that room as a kid. Its bittersweet to see the room change, but I love seeing Tensely enjoy her room so much.


Last Friday we started on two projects for her room. The first was finishing up an extra framed mirror we had just laying around the house. My aunt Denise helped us with these projects at her house, while she was off of work. First we went to the store to grab glitter and lacquer, we had already picked out the yellow paint that Tensley requested.


A prior afternoon, Tensley and I spent time together taping off the mirror part to ensure we wouldn't get any paint or glitter onto the mirror




We set up shop and started painting. I choose not to sand the framed part down first, I knew it would prolong the project if we did. So we painted right over the original finishing.





We truly only need 2 coats on the frame. However it was such a hot day, that the paint was trying fairly quickly when Denise and I did the second coat. So Denise ended up painting a third coat on, while I quickly put the glitter on the mirror. I tried to space out the glitter the best I could, however it was a little bit breezy that day and the glitter opening didn't have a shaker like top. So it quickly all came out at ones.



Though it didn't turn out completely as I envisioned it would (I was thinking less glitter), but Tensley saw it loved and even said "Mom it needs MORE glitter!" She's the boss of this project. So we all called it a successful project.

I sprayed it with this lacquer (find it at lowes, here). I sprayed it about 3 times, two times in a row and then a third time about an hour later before left to go home. I wanted to ensure that the glitter would not come off and get all over my trunk. Wahoo!


It took about a week before we were able to hang it up in Tensley's closet. David did it one Saturday morning, Tensley was having a sleepover with my aunt. So when she got back that afternoon it was a huge surprise! The look on her face was priceless!



 shirt // shorts // shoes 
{All on Clearance!}



Thanking Daddy!


It has been such a joy watching Tensley love her new mirror. She gets dressed in her closet everyday and picks out her dresses to wear. She has even requested privacy in her closet as she gets all ready. Its so cute and I just love how girly she is becoming and much she is loving her special little place.















No comments :

Post a Comment