Pages



Friday, August 28, 2015

Favorite Memories of You, Adam!


Today's Favorite Friday link up with Andrea and Friends is all about 
my amazing friend Adam Ward. 



Last night I sat down with David and started recording all of my memories with Adam. Our mutual friends and I have been sharing moments together via text for the past 48 hours. 
We remember his selflessness, his funniness, his contagious smile, boom voice, his laugh, his love for others, his joyful outlook on life, and a true gentlemen. 


1. Driving to High School Together. 
I met you in our high school photojournalism class, he was a senior and I was a sophomore. He took me home one day after a Saturday work day when I wasn't feel well. I can remember telling my mom "Yeah its safe to be in a car with him, he is Mr. Ward's son. His dad works for the school, its perfectly fine." :) 
When you learned my mom was a single mom, full time student at Redford and I didn't have my license. He offered to pick me up in the morning to take me to school, so I wouldn't have to leave so early with my mom. Those mornings were always so special! You would listen to my dumb sophomore girl drama like it really mattered (when it actually didn't), allowed me to changed the radio station to K92 instead of the sports center highlights, and some days just because would surprise me with a coffee when you picked me up. 


2. Prom
I am thankful we were able to attend 2 proms together. I went as your date for your senior prom and you came as my date for my junior prom. 
I was so nervous during senior prom that I ate dinner before you picked me up, we went to take pictures with all of your friends before heading over to 419 West. I wasn't hungry and still really to nervous to eat. So we split a pizza and both ordered water. Our entire bill was $11. You told people you had hit Prom Date Gold! I remember telling me how upset your dad was until you told him it was my idea to split a pizza and I wasn't hungry. 

His Senior Year Prom. 


Junior year I was more relaxed, we took pictures with my friends and headed up to Carlos' for dinner. 
I'll never forget while we were taking photos at Roanoke College with Rachel and Preston. That moment my mom realized our age difference. I was 17 and you were 20. The look on our faces from this photo and that moment were priceless. 
 My Junior Prom. 




3. The Worst Night of My Life
The night that my mom died you were there for me. You were the first person I called. I stood at the end of the walkway, crying to you that she died and I kept apologizing for ruining your date with Lauren U. You told me you were on your way. I found out later that you called your dad on your way asking him to grab me something to eat (McDonalds of course!) and to be with me until you could get there. You knew your dad could be with me before you could. 
You drove me to my Godparents house that night and stayed until I was okay enough to go to bed. 
The next morning you met me at the funeral home with my aunts and god families. You held my hand as I made ever decision, looked at you for guidance, and prayed over me. 
I am entirely grateful for how you took care of me that night. 
You truly were my big brother that I never knew I needed! 




4. Star Gazing
After my moms death, I would spent a lot of time with you in Blacksburg. 
Our sweet friend Lauren U. reminded me of this memory. You had set up the back porch of the house you and the guys were living in with blankets and chairs so that we could all watch the meteor shower that night. You made sure Lauren and I had everything we needed and that we were warm. We all sat together watching those stars for hours and just talking. 





5. The Best Day 
Tensley was born on a Friday evening, I remember texting you minutes after she was born to tell you she had arrived, she was beautiful, and she was healthy. 
You couldn't wait to met her. 
That next day, Saturday, there was a Hokie home game in Blacksburg. You were on your way to go tailgate with everyone and cheer on your beloved Hokies. 
However you made a detour to the hospital to met her. The moment you walked in the door your face filled with such joy, excitement and pride to met her. You had tears in your eyes. 





6. The Truck
I remember when you bought your truck. You were so excited about it. You purchased it right after you signed with WDBJ7 Full Time. You brought it to the house to show me. You wanted me to know there was room in the back for Tensley, that it had the hooks to buckle in a carseat, and it was extremely safe. You began to ask me about carseats, brands, safety ratings, etc. You wanted your own carseat for Tensley. I convinced you not to buy one, that you could borrow mine at any time. 



                       
                    "Getin ready for a ride in the truck" -Adam          "Whats the one thing that can clean up the language of the            
                                                                                                               ward household on football saturday? 
                                                                                                                        A ONE YEAR OLD!" -Adam
                                                             Photos Courtesy of Adam Ward's Facebook. 


7. "What Would You Do" City High
Whenever I hear this song I instantly think of 2 moments with you. 
The first was in the car, you were driving me home from a game. I was upset about something and your voice was horse, you could barely talk. This song came on the radio and you started belting it out, loud and proud just to get me to smile and laugh. I laughed until I cried in the car. 
The second was during your freshman year of college you send me a video of you signing this song with Allen, Lauren C. and Sara. It wasn't the version of the song you were use to, the look on your face and Allen's when it changed was absolutely priceless all while hearing Lauren and Sara laugh and say "Oh gosh" in the background. 



8. Hokie Games
We went to our fare share of Hokie Games together. I remember going with you and Will S. during your freshman year. Sitting at the top of the south end zone cheering on the Hokies. 
I remember the one Thursday night game I attended with you and Allen in the student section. It was freezing cold that night and a really close game. You were so concerned about me and how cold it was, since my finger tips had turn ghostly white. I assured you I was fine. Once the game was over, we went straight back to the house and I couldn't leave until my hands were warmed up and looked normal again. 



9.One of the Last Senior Basketball Game
During high school I went to a basketball game with you, it was one of the last ones of the season. Salem was playing William Byrd at WB. I remember when the game was over, you were overcome with emotions about how quickly High School was coming to an end. You told me to enjoy every day, to soak all of high school in, take advantage of being with my friends everyday, love the sporting events, and to be united with my classmates. You told me how quick it all goes. That even though that night I was just a sophomore, before I knew it I would blink and I'd be halfway through my Senior Year. 


10. One of the Funniest Moments
David found this picture of you the other night in Tensley's crib. 
We busted out laughing. I remember you came over that evening before bedtime, we were talking and joking around. I had just told you how the a few nights before I had gotten into the crib with Tensley to lay with her and to see if I would actually fit. You instantly wanted to see if you would fit. 
You climbed in that crib with her, she was very unsure about you being her bed. Tensley did not like it one bit, but we laughed, oh how we laughed. 









Our family loves you, Adam. We are blessed that God put you in our lives. 
Thankful for the many memories we have of you. 
You will always be apart of our family and known as Uncle Adam. 
We miss you. 
We look forward to the day we are rejoicing with you in Heaven. 
xoxox

4 comments :

  1. I'm so sorry for your loss Lauren! I can't even imagine how you must feel losing your friend in such a tragic way. Hugs & Prayers!
    Kelsey
    www.thepeacockroost.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is so sad but you have so many sweet memories and pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing tribute. Thankful to Jesus for heaven! Am stopping by from Friday Favorites. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete