Pages



Wednesday, May 20, 2015

David's New Dresser



Earlier this year I realized that our closest and dressers need some major help, so I decided to purge them. However the purge wasn't as successful as I thought. We really just have no storage for our clothing. David and I were sharing a regular sized closet and 1 dresser between the two of us. Honestly it just wasn't working.

So I started looking at our local craigslist ads for a dresser. Lucky enough I found a college student from Virginia Tech who was selling hers for 50.00 dollars. SCORE! So my cousin and I went to pick up that dresser and I headed home with my project ready to go. I decide to refinish it and then place it in our room. This way we would each have our own dresser and share the closet space.

However I clearly under estimated how long this project would take. About 3 months to get the majority of it sanded down so that we could re-stain it so it would hopefully match our already existing dresser. The goal was to have the dresser finished before David and Tensley went camping while I was in San Francisco, however David and Tensley left to go camping and the dresser... well it wasn't anywhere near finished.

Less than 48 hours before our flight for San Francisco, I thought it would be a good idea to stain and finish the dresser myself. I was honestly WAY over my head for this project. So my cousin was so sweet and generous to help me put 2 coasts of stain on and even placed it in my bedroom for me so it wouldn't get messed up. I'm so thankful for his willingness to help me out when David isn't around.




To stain the dresser I used Minwix Red Mahogny 225. You'll only need a half pint to complete a dresser this size.

The next morning we used a clear satin finishing spray, the minx brand works great. Only takes 2 coats an then we let it set for 24 hours before moving it back into our bedroom
    *The associate at Lowes didn't recommend moving it for at least a week after the finish was done. However I didn't have a week, I really needed the dresser to be in our room upon David's arrival. Thankfully the finished wasn't ruined when it was placed in our room. We did wait 4-5 days before we added the knobs and put the drawers back in with David's clothes.




I truly love how the dresser turned out and David is loving having his own dresser. Now to just decorate the wall above his dresser. Oh, so many projects... so little time. 

No comments :

Post a Comment